The new year is in full swing and now is the perfect time to reflect on how you can make meaningful lifestyle changes to live a happier and healthier life in 2017.
We know sticking to New Year’s resolutions can be tough. So to help you out, we’ve put together this list of tips you can use to achieve better success in all your health and wellness goals this year.
Five Tips For Making Your Resolutions Reality
- Be realistic. It’s a great to be ambitious, but when it comes to setting health resolutions for the new year try not to bite off more than you can chew. Your best bet for success is to focus clearly on one or two of your most important goals and channel your energy into achieving them.
- Start with small steps. Just as Rome wasn’t built in a day, you can’t expect to achieve your health goals overnight. It’s better to start small and expand as the year continues. If your resolution is to lose weight this year, break that long-term goal down into smaller and more manageable chunks like going to the gym at least twice per week, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or packing a healthy lunch instead of eating at the office cafeteria.
- Set a deadline. It’s important to set a deadline or time-frame for accomplishing your wellness goals. Without one, there’s no real sense of urgency and you’ll be more likely to put your goals off until “later”… which often turns into “never.” Set a realistic timeline to achieve your goals and stick to it.
- Keep a goal journal. Don’t just think about your goals; write them down and keep notes on your progress. Studies have shown that physically writing down your goals and reflecting on them regularly will actually make you more likely to achieve them.
- Plan for setbacks. The path to success is never straight and narrow. Remember that setbacks and slip-ups are not only normal, but likely inevitable at some point or another. Don’t let these become excuses for giving up. Take a deep breath and get back on track – your future-self will be glad you did!
Making healthy lifestyle changes can be tough, but we hope these tips will help you be more successful at keeping your resolutions than in years past. Also remember you don’t have to tread the path to better health alone. The Align team is here to coach you every step of the way on your journey towards better physical, mental and chemical wellbeing!
Schedule a consultation with our healthcare experts and let’s get started on making 2017 your happiest and healthiest year yet: https://alignyourhealth.ca/book-appointment/